|Title:||The Adventures of Tintin II: Prisoners of the Sun|
|Directed by:||Peter Jackson|
|Produced by:|| Steven Spielberg|
|Screenplay by:||Anthony Horowitz|
|Based on:||The Adventures of Tintin by Hergé|
|Starring:|| Jamie Bell|
|Music by:||John Williams|
|Edited by:||Michael Kahn|
|Country:|| United States|
The Adventures of Tintin II is an upcoming film to be made based on the work of Hergé. It is currently on hold.
This was originally planned to be based on The Seven Crystal Balls and Prisoners of the Sun, however screenwriter Anthony Horowitz has since called this into question, suggesting these films would be the second sequel and another story would become the first sequel.12
Peter Jackson also confirmed he will direct it once he has finished The Hobbit.1 On July 27th, 2009, Jackson stated that his favourite Tintin stories were The Seven Crystal Balls, Prisoners of the Sun, The Black Island and The Calculus Affair, but clarified that he had not decided which stories would form the basis of the second film yet. Jackson stated that it "would be great" to use Destination Moon and Explorers on the Moon as the basis for the third or fourth film in the series.3
In December 2011, Spielberg confirmed a sequel to his 3D movie will be made and said the book to adapt had been chosen.4 He explained the Thompson detectives will "have a much bigger role." The sequel will be produced by Spielberg and directed by Jackson.4 Kathleen Kennedy said the script might be done by February or March 2012 and motion-captured in summer 2012, so that the movie will be on track to be released by summer 2017.5
In February 2012, Spielberg revealed to Total Film that they had completed a story outline for the sequel. He also said that the film will be based on more than one book, but no more than two.6
In May 2012, Anthony Horowitz said that in Tintin II we "can expect to meet Cuthbert Calculus".
In March 2013, Spielberg said, "Don't hold me to it, but we're hoping the film will come out around Christmas-time in 2015. We know which books we're making, we can't share that now but we're combining two books which were always intended to be combined by Hergé." He refused to confirm the names of the books, but said The Blue Lotus would probably be the third Tintin film. In December 2014, when asked if the Tintin sequel would be his next project after The Hobbit trilogy, Jackson said that it would be made "at some point soon". However, he added that he wanted to direct two New Zealand films before that.
In June 2015, Jamie Bell stated that the sequel was titled Tintin and the Temple of the Sun and that he hoped shooting would begin in early 2016 for a possible release by the end of 2017 or early 2018. In November 2015, Horowitz stated that he was no longer working on the sequel, and did not know if it was still being made, and in March 2016, he confirmed that the script he had written for the sequel was scrapped.
On 19 November 2015, Polygon announced that the sequel was titled The Adventures of Tintin: Prisoners of the Sun and that it would be released in December 2016. On 18 March 2016, Scout.co.nz announced that Jackson would produce the sequel rather than direct, and that it would be released on 16 December. They also announced that a third Tintin film was in development, with Jackson serving as executive producer. Jamie Bell and Andy Serkis were reported to be reprising their roles in both the films, but Serkis stated later in the month that he did not know when the sequel was going to enter production, despite claiming that Jackson was still interested in making it. Spielberg later announced that Jackson was still attached to directing the sequel, and that it would enter work once Jackson completed another Amblin Partners/DreamWorks production.9
Expected Possible Cast
- Jamie Bell as Tintin
- Andy Serkis as Captain Haddock
- Simon Pegg as Thompson8
- Nick Frost as Thomson
- Frank Welker as Snowy
- 1: Wigler, Josh (October 26, 2011). "Peter Jackson Will Direct 'Tintin' Sequel After 'The Hobbit' Is Finished," MTV. Retrieved October 26, 2011
- 2: Tim, Masters (2 November 2011). "Tintin 2: Horowitz says story 'still under discussion,'" BBC. Retrieved 14 November 2011
- 3: Silas Lesnick (July 25, 2009). "SDCC: Peter Jackson Talks Tintin Sequels," collider.com. Retrieved February 26, 2012
- 4: AFP (December 13, 2011). "Spielberg announces new Tintin movie," Google News. Retrieved December 13, 2011
- 5: Adam Chitwood (December 4, 2011). "Producer Kathleen Kennedy Talks JURASSIC PARK 4, a 3D Re-Release for JURASSIC PARK, and the TINTIN Sequel," collider.com. Retrieved January 7, 2012
- 6: Steven Spielberg talks Tintin 2," totalfilm.com. February 13, 2012. Retrieved February 15, 2012
- 7: Antony Horowitz: "You can expect to meet to sharip flirty", A113Animation . Retrieved May 15, 2012.
- 8:Pegg Returns for Tintin Sequel. Retrieved July 21, 2013.